I am Tim Dietrich (CV) and currently employed as
Marie Sklodowska-Curie Fellow at Nikhef,
the Dutch National Institute for Subatomic Physics.
I am working in the field of Numerical Relativity, in particular I am studying the
merger of binary neutron stars.
Over the last years I have performed a large number of simulations
which are publicly available as a part of the
Computational Relativity Database .
I have also developed a model to compute kilonovae lightcurves.
Science Park 105
1098 XG Amsterdam
Tel.: +31 20 5922000
Education and Work
- 2007-2010: Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg (B. Sc.)
- 2010-2012: Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena (M. Sc.)
- 2012-2015: Phd student at the Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena
- 2008-2010: Student assistant at the Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg
- 2009-2010: Student assistant at Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Materialwissenschaften in Halle (Saale)
- 2011-2012: Student assistant for the SFB/TR-7 Gravitationswellenastronomie
- 2012-2014: Graduate assistant for the SFB/TR-7 Gravitationswellenastronomie
- 2015: Graduate assistent at the Friedrich-Schiller Universität Jena
- 2015-2018: Junior Scientist/Postdoc at the AEI
- Since 2018: Marie Sklodowska-Curie Fellow at Nikhef
- SS 09 : Tutorial in
- "Theoretische Physik-A-Einführung in die Theoretische Mechanik"
- WS 09/10 : Tutorial in
- "Theoretische Physik-B-klassische und analytische Mechanik"
- "Online Forum der Martin-Luther-Universität für Physik"
- SS 10: Tutorial in
- "Mathematische Hilfsmittel zur Quantenphysik"
- "Mathematische Physik"
- WS 12/13: Seminar in
- " Mathematische Methoden III"
- SS 13: Seminar in
- " Elektrodynamik (für Lehramt)"
Prizes and Scholarships
- 2009-2012: Scholarship of the Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
- 2010: Gustav-Mie-Bachelor Prize of the University Halle-Wittenberg
- 2013-2015: Beneficiary of the Landesgraduierten-Stipendien
- 2017: Individual Marie-Curie Fellowship
- 2017: PhD thesis price of the German Physical Society of the sections
Gravitation and Relativity, Hadrons and Nucleons, and Particle physics
- 2017: PhD thesis price of the Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena
- 2017: Supervisor for FAPESP Grant of the Sao Paulo Research Foundation for Prof. U. Tonino
Press release and outreach
GW170817: Sergei and I have created animations for GW17081,
which have been used by the media, see e.g., the Tagesschau
GW170814: Sergei and I have created animations for GW170814, which have been used by the media:
Documentation about LIGO discovery : The director Les Guthman interviewed me about my work in LIGO
and used several of my simulations for his new
GW170104: I have again created animations for GW170104, which have been used by the media:
and several others (in about a dozen languages).
I also gave a radio interview for FluxFM on the 6th of June.
PhD thesis prices:
A press release that I won the PhD thesis price of the DPG and the PhD thesis price of the University of Jena.
Warped Side of the Universe:
some of my BNS animations have been used for the Warped side of the universe show of K. Thorne, P. Franklin, H. Zimmer,
someone recorded a convert and put it on youtube.
- GW151226 :I was responsible to produce some visualisations for GW151226.
The video can be find on the AEI youtube side video , here is a list of some newspaper/webpages using images I produced:
The New York Times,
The Irish Times,
Australian Network News,
The Science Explorer,
- PRD Kaleidoscope mentioned work:
- About our tidal EOB model Phys.Rev.Lett.114,161103 :